Forum 2: Twitter/ Social Media/ The Internet

This weeks forum calls for me to list 3 twitter accounts that I choose to follow and why.

1- A good one that I like to keep up with is Oregon State's offical twitter account. I am dual enrolled at Oregon State and LBCC, and heavily involved in sports; with my brother being on the Oregon state basketball team, I love keep updated on everything thats going on. So, that account is one that I am constantly checking in on.

2- Another one that I follow is an account called 'B***** Code'. It's a funny account that is always tweeting things that a lot of girls age can relate to. I constantly find myself laughing at her tweets.

3- Lastly, a good one to follow is CNN official account to always keep updated on the current news going on around the world.

The best tweet that really stood out to me, that I retweeted was one that stated: "Don't rush anything. Take time enjoying the season of life you're in. Tomorrow isn't promised." I really liked this tweet because it was extremely relatable to  my current life situation and it was an easy reminder to slow life down and enjoy it while I can.
I think that social media had done an OK job at ability to take action or participate in democracy, government or other activities. The reason I only say OK, is because sometimes having to constantly read everyone opinions on how they feel about everything that is going on in the world. I think social media does a great job keeping everyone updated on the latest news, but it all the comments and internet fights can get extremely immature, especially when half of the people writing, or tweeting about it are probably uneducated on everything and believe everything they read.

The Internet:

In the beginning or Sherry Turkle's talk, she makes a statement regarding us as people, using what we learn in the virtual world about ourselves, to take the information and use it to better ourselves in the real world. I liked this statement because it's true on many different levels, wether it's good or bad, cell phones change us as people. What we do, what we are, and how we think, all has a ton to do with a simple little device. My family has always made it a rule to have no phones at the dinner table. No matter what, to always have full attention for a solid 30 minutes of the day, to just talk and have conversations with people.
To be honest, I don't play games at all anymore. Back in high school, I loved candy crush. That is really the only game I have downloaded onto my phone. I first got it because it kept popping up as ads on my phone.. I slowly learned that it was a super fun, mind addicting game!
I don't game, But I would say i spend at least an hour a day on social media. Mainly right when I wake up in the morning, and before I go to bed, and I tend to go deep into social media if I cant sleep, bad habit. I would say social media is absolutely a community. It keeps me updated on pretty much everything thats going around at OSU. Its pretty cool.

Comments

Popular Posts